Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Interlude ~ Home is where the heart is


"The truth will set you free"... ancient proverb

"The truth will get you ten to twenty" ... Nicholas Polowatski, criminal defense attorney / vampire

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, July 31st 2060

0500 hours, Seattle Metroplex local time

Jasmine and Violet were crying pitifully.  I rolled out of bed as Aria stirred. "I've got them honey, you can sleep."  I kissed her on the cheek and padded into the hall.

"I believe they are hungry as they are not stinky.  I will prepare the bottles." Rose's thought voice reached me as I entered their room.  Lily was standing watch in the astral, watching for any threats to the children {Honestly, I'm not paranoid.  Why take chances?}  The girls were dry, clean, and fussy.  I picked each of them up and saw them gumming away.  Yep, hungry.

Rose came in a few minutes later with two bottles, both at perfect temperature.  "Thank you, Rose. That is a great help." I opened my astral sight and beheld Lily, standing watch over the girls' room like a guardian angel, wings and all. "Thank you, Lily. I really appreciate all that you two do.  You're great help with the twins, and it gives me great peace of mind to know that Aria, Jasmine and Violet are safe with the two of you."

"Your gratitude is welcome and unnecessary," Lily replied. "I will keep you and the family safe."

"You're welcome," Rose added, "Aria says we are family and that family loves and protects one another.  Lily, Jasmine and Violet are my sisters.  Isn't that correct?"

I nodded to her as I rocked my daughters while a little telekinesis spell held the bottles for me. "We are a family.  Some people may not agree, but I brought you and Lily into this world so I feel responsible for you.  I had my reasons for bringing you both forth, that is certain.  I want to be the best wizard I can be, and a powerful ally spirit is a wonderful step in that direction.  I am a criminal with a dangerous job.  Sometimes I fight monstrous beings and having you two to watch my back is a fantastic relief.  Now, being married and the twins being here, I don't know what I would do without you two.  You'll both be here long after I'm dead and gone.  I only hope you'll remember me fondly in the ages yet to come."  Violet put her little hands up so I bent my head down and kissed her little fingers.  "If I died tomorrow, I know I left the world a better place than I found it.  I know that because all of you are so much more than I ever imagined I would accomplish and the world is a much better place because you are all here."

"You should take us to work more often," Lily offered. "it would be safer for you."

"I know, Lily. I just don't like having you two away from the house."  I took Jasmine's bottle and rubbed her back to burp her. "I like knowing the family is safe."

"Aria, mommy, worries about you when you go away for work." Rose told me. "Lily and I worry as well.  Jasmine and Violet are happier when you are here.  They enjoy the sensation of levitating."

Rose and Lily both smiled down at me. In my arms, the twins sucked at their bottles without a care in the world.

"Is there room in the family for more of us?" Lily asked.

"Mommy says she thinks so." Rose replied.  "If you don't wish to take Lily or I with you, consider summoning another."

"Another sister would be welcome." Lily said thoughtfully.

"Or the male version. They call them 'brothers', I'm told." Rose told her. "I am helping Lily with the social interactions. She does not like my cooking though, I'm afraid."

"I prefer the food made my he who is called 'Solomon'.  You're food is not as pleasant." Lily replied.

"You have not had food prepared by father." Rose's voice had a hint of laughter behind it.

I found myself smiling.  "Okay, you two.  I'm not in a hurry to make the family any larger yet, but I hear what you're saying.  There are a number of things I can do to give me an edge.  Bringing you two into the world, well, those were the most difficult magical operations I've undertaken.  There are a few other things I should do before bringing another ally spirit to the world."

"The dog is in the yard again." Lily said, suddenly serious. "I shall disperse him."

I looked at Rose who smiled and said, "The neighbors dog drops stinky piles on the grass in our yard.  Aria does not like it, so Lily takes offense and urges the dog to leave."

There was a sound like thunder outside.

"She doesn't hurt the dog, does she?" I asked, suddenly concerned.

"No.  The dog isn't scared of her, so she makes noises the dog doesn't like.  He is afraid of thunder, so she makes the sound and he runs home." Rose added proudly, "That was my idea.  The first time she went out to confront him, he licked her repeatedly and left the stinky pile anyway.  Sometimes I go out and bark at him.  He is smaller than I am, and usually runs off."

I burped the girls and changed their suddenly wet diapers.  Rose took Lily into the kitchen and the two of them went to work on creating breakfast for the rest of us.  I lay Jasmine and Violet on the rug and played with them, enjoying the coos and little gurgling sounds they made.  The smell of sausages and brewing coffee made my stomach growl.  The twins got quiet for a moment, their little faces turned up as if they were thinking very hard about something of earth-shattering importance.

I heard a pair of tiny squeaks, and grew fearful for their diapers.  Sure enough, it was time to change them again.

"Something stinky," Lily and Rose said in tandem.

"I've got it." I told them.

Breakfast was done at 0620.  I woke Aria and received a kiss to 'start my day off right'.  Our morning meal was bright and fun for me.  Jasmine and Violet slept through breakfast giving Aria and I a little time together.  Lily and Rose took the twins to their room, and Aria and I had a talk about work.  I didn't lie to her.  I told her I had been to a hell-like metaplane and fought a demon and several demonic creatures.  She took that in with a remarkable calm that shocked me.  The things she was accustomed to hearing from me already!

"I shouldn't have to tell Lily and Rose to go to you." Aria stirred her coffee while she looked at me with worried eyes.  "I love them, but you need them more out there than I need them here. What would we all have done if you had died, Tommy?"

"Aria, I'm sorry honey. I wanted them here to protect you and the girls.  I want you to have help.  I'll be fine." I took her hand and felt a tremble there.

"I was scared, Tommy. You've been working a lot and the things I hear from you are terrifying." She lifted my hand and kissed the back of it. "These new scars.  You used magic to heal your hand before you came home a few weeks ago."

"Actually, I healed it after I came home." I had promised her I wouldn't lie to her. "I got hurt in an explosion.  Rose helped me when I got home."

"We all love you, Tommy." Aria kissed me then rested her forehead against mine. "Once this contract is over, I don't want you signing back up.  Hell with the money, we were fine before this and we can do just fine without it."

"Exactly what I was thinking." I wrapped my arms around her and felt tears streak down my cheeks. I don't know why I was crying but I knew my wife loved me.

We took the twins outside that afternoon and let them get some sun. Aria and I took turns pushing the stroller. I looked around at the carefully tended lawns and well maintained houses.  My parents would have been happy for me to be living there.

We passed the home of a middle-aged ork couple.  They were welcoming family and judging from the smell and smoke wafting up from the back yard they were getting ready for a bar-b-que.  I waved to them as we passed and was reward with a tusky smile and a wave back.  They seemed like nice people and had given Rose a pat on the head to go with the large handful of candy they put in her Halloween bag.  The neighborhood was full of the sound of children laughing, sunshine  poking through thin cloud cover, and the smell of grilling foods.

The weekend passed too quickly.  I called Crank Saturday night and we made plans for him to meet up with me the next weekend.  I talked to Aria about it and she put in a larger grocery order for the Friday delivery.  I spent my time with my family, soaking in joy from the little smiles Jasmine and Violet made when I ran my hand over their thin hair or tickled their pointy ears, and playing catch with Lily and Rose in the back yard.  I laughed at jokes Aria told me, and held her closely each night, cherishing the scent of honeysuckle and vanilla.

"You make sure to come home to me, Tommy." Aria told me. "You have my heart you know."

"And you have mine." I kissed her and drifted off to sleep.

The twins woke me two hours later.

*****

Thank you for reading my fan fiction.

Shadowrunners are interesting characters and I think that every once in a while it's good to shine a light into the shadows they live in to see the people hiding beneath the tough exterior.  I hope you enjoyed this interlude.

As always, your comments are welcome and please do share these stories with others.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment chummer.